You are here : Home / About Us / History

History of College

The B.P.H. Education Society's Ahmednagar College is a Christian minority institution, situated on a 32.9-acre campus at the heart of Ahmednagar city. The College was the first to be established in Ahmednagar district in 1947. It is a multi-faculty institution, consisting of the faculties of Arts, Science and Commerce, affiliated to the University of Pune. The Founder of the College, Dr. B.P. Hivale, believed that the primary aim of the College “is to provide higher education for the students who for various reasons would not otherwise be able to have it”. Translating the ideas of the Founder, the College always strives to facilitate better teaching, better learning and better results. True to its mottoes, the College makes every effort to provide access to education to all who need it, irrespective of their background. Thus, in spite of being a Christian Minority Institution, the faculty and students of the College form a cosmopolitan atmosphere with teachers and students coming from diverse backgrounds and from various parts of India and Maharashtra. Building personality, not merely producing degree-holders, is the purpose of education. The College continuously tries to go beyond syllabi so that learning becomes at once meaningful and intensive. The College is committed to the liberal humanist ideals and has been renowned for its active role in social justice initiatives, innovative educational programs, research and community-oriented activities. Ahmednagar College has come to be known for its pioneering projects, the most notable among them being students' involvement in community development which grew into the NSS; 'Self Study' of the College undertaken in 1967, the postgraduate course in Drug Chemistry and in the recent past the Resource Centre for the Differently-abled.

Memories

One
One